Grill Causes F.C. Carport Fire

April 29, 2013 9:19 AM0 comments

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a carport fire yesterday morning in the Falls Church area of Fairfax County. The carport was located in the 6700 block of Westcott Road.

Firefighters reported heavy fire coming from a detached carport to the rear of a single family home upon arrival. Crews conducted an aggressive fire attack and quickly extinguished the fully involved carport and nearby shed. However, the intense heat and close proximity to nearby homes resulted in the melting of vinyl siding to two homes and caused extensive damage to four vehicles. Propane tanks inside the carport also ruptured causing several explosions. No one was home when the fire broke out. No one has been displaced. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $45,000.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. A barbecue grill too close to combustibles caused the fire.

Facebook Iconfacebook like buttonTwitter Icontwitter follow buttonGoogle+Google+