We asked local restaurants to provide us with the recipies to some of their menu items, for daring chefs to try at home.
Mad Fox’s Grilled Chicken and Goat Cheese Salad
Mad Fox Brewing Company, 444 W. Broad St., Falls Church • 703-942-6840 • madfoxbrewing.com
• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped fine
• 1 tablespoon shallot, chopped fine
• 1 sprig rosemary, chopped fine
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
•10 ounces arugula, cleaned
• 1/2 each red onion, sliced
• 1/2 each carrot, sliced
• 6 ounces chevre goat cheese
• 2 ounces pine nuts, toasted
• 4 ounces dried cranberries
• 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
• 2 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 1 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1/2 tablespoon Kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
1. Place the chicken breasts in a bowl and toss with the garlic, shallots, rosemary, oil and salt and pepper to taste.
2. Grill or roast the chicken breasts until cooked through and the center is at least 160 degrees.
3. To make the vinaigrette:
– Place the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, shallots, salt and pepper in a blender and turn on.
– While the blender is running, slowly pour in the olive oil to emulsify.
– Keep refrigerated until needed.
3. To make the salad:
– Place all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
– Add 3/4 cup of the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper
– Toss well to coat the lettuce and add more dressing as desired.
– Place mixture in four large salad bowls and top with the cooked chicken.
– Serve immediately.
La Caraqueña’s Black Bean Soup
La Caraqueña, 300 W. Broad St., Falls Church • 703-533-0076 • lacaraquena.com
• 2 pound black turtle beans
• 1 1/2 ounces olive oil
• 8 ounces onion, small diced
• 4 garlic cloves, chopped
• 2 ounces jalapeno or other fresh green chile, chopped
• 4 tablespoons paprika
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
• 1 bay leaf
• 5 quarts white stock, vegetable stock or water
• 1 pound drained canned tomatoes, chopped
• Hot pepper sauce
• 8 ounces avocado, medium diced, for garnish
• 8 ounces Spanish dry chorizo, medium diced, for garnish
• 8 ounces tomatoes, medium diced, for garnish
1. Soak the beans overnight in cold water.
2. Heat the olive oil in a heavy soup pot over moderate heat.
3. Add the onions, garlic and jalapeno.
4. Cook over low heat until almost tender.
5. Stir in the paprika, cumin, coriander and bay leaf.
6. Add the stock or water.
7. Drain the soaked beans and add them to the pot.
8. Cover and simmer until the beans are just tender.
9. Add the tomatoes.
10. Continue to simmer until the beans are completely tender and the flavors are well blended, about 20 to 30 minutes.
11. Add salt and hot pepper sauce, to taste.
12. Carefully mix together the diced avocado, chorizo and tomato.
13. Garnish each portion of the soup with a spoonful of this mixture.
Argia’s Fusilli with Arugula Pesto and Vegetables
Argia’s, 124 N. Washington St., Falls Church • 703-534-1033 • argias.com
• 1 pound of fusilli pasta (cooked according to the box), reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water
• 1/2 cup arugula pesto (recipe follows), or to taste
• 2 cups diced Yukon Gold potatoes, blanched
• 2 cups Haricot Verts (French green beans), stem snipped off and blanched
• 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut in small florets and blanched
• 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• 2 pounds of cleaned and trimmed baby arugula
• 3/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted
• 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
• 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
• Salt and pepper
• 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a food processor, combine toasted walnuts, garlic and a 1/4 cup of the olive oil.
2. Puree until smooth.
3. With the food processor running, add the arugula through the feed tube.
4. Slowly drizzle in the remaining olive oil and puree until almost smooth.
5. Remove and pour into a bowl.
6. By hand, stir in the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
7. In a large sauté pan, heat the 4 tablespoons of olive oil, add the potatoes and cauliflower and sauté until slightly golden.
8. Add the Haricot Verts and heat through.
9. Add arugula pesto, pasta water and fusilli.
10. Toss to coat and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
11. Serve immediately.
Chef’s note: You may substitute with other vegetables.