News

McLean House Damaged by Chimney Fire

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire, Saturday, Nov. 5, at approximately 11 p.m. in the McLean area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located on Old Dominion Drive.

Firefighters encountered 20 foot flames coming from the chimney and billowing smoke coming from underneath the eaves of the two-story home upon arrival. Crews worked to find the seat of the fire and to cut off the fire as it spread along the roof and attic. The 20 foot vaulted ceiling challenged firefighters as access inside or out was extremely difficult. Firefighters brought the fire under control in approximately 30 minutes. Firefighters did extensive overhaul to ensure there were no pockets of fire inside the walls, chimney chase, or attic.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire primarily to the family room, minimizing overall fire damage. Two adults and three children have been displaced. Red Cross support was not necessary. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $50,000.

According fire investigators, the fire was accidental. The fire originated in the chimney chase of the zero clearance gas operating fireplace.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*