News

One Injured in F.C. Townhouse Explosion

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a townhouse explosion Sunday at approximately 7:15 p.m., in the Falls Church area of Fairfax County. The townhouse is located on the 2800 block of Pine Spring Road, Falls Church.

Firefighters were initially called for a medical emergency at the two-story townhouse; however, an explosion had occurred minutes prior to their arrival. An adult male was transported to INOVA Fairfax Hospital for a non-life threatening injury as a result of the explosion.

According to fire investigators, approximately a dozen aerosol insect repellant containers exploded in the kitchen area causing significant damage to two townhouses. The aerosol cans were ignited by an electrical spark from a nearby refrigerator. The explosion severed several floor joists and pushed out one of the room walls, and caused residual damage to an adjoining townhouse. A total of 11 occupants have been displaced from both townhouses. Red Cross is providing assistance to the displaced occupants. Damage estimate is unavailable.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*